Wednesday, May 29, 2019

A few fabulous firsts

Chaya has chalked up several off-the-beaten-path experiences that I've been derelict in relating. (No valid excuse for that other than 24 hours just doesn't cut it for me these days).

Chaya, my husband and I went to Sha'arei Zedek to have blood taken for her first whole exome sequencing. Our blood will only be used for comparison in the event that something positive comes up in her test. The geneticist forewarned us that there's only a 20% chance of that happening. Meaning, we're most likely to be left with the presumption that a spontaneous mutation caused her disabilities. 

But since genetic testing is still relatively in its infancy, there will probably be new tests available in the future. Chaya's blood will be stored for future use.

Chaya has returned to the therapy pool - and to her regular bathing suit - with a new hydrotherapist. As I wrote a while ago, her previous permanent therapist dumped her because she was getting too stressed by Chaya's occasional seizures during sessions. The therapist who took over and was nearly as competent as the first, has left the school. 

So we tried out a new one which the school offered us. After two sessions with her, I believe I can safely declare her to be unequivocally perfect! Here she is with Chaya (above),

That beloved wetsuit I've been lauding is stashed away for now, unnecessary in the well- heated therapy pool. Besides, we're having a heat wave and transporting Chaya in a wetsuit to the cooler pool where I work with her would be a torture for her. I'll miss giving her those longer 40-45 minute sessions. She only gets 30 at this school. 

But the transporting is also a strain for my husband who is in the throes of a debilitating case of CMV.

Chaya went swinging for the first time in her life. On Pesach, we had a family gathering in Zur Hadassah where we discovered a swing for children with disabilities. It doesn't accommodate a wheelchair but it was a treat nonetheless. So here she is (in the photo) discovering the sensation of swinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment