Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Calling moms of profoundly disabled kids

As I mentioned, I joined a Facebook page for mother's of children with special needs recently and it's getting my goat.

Most of the posts are either grumbles about their childrens' challenging behavior, or about the bureaucratic hurdles faced in securing every single special service on offer for this population. And they all have some weird aversion to naming their children's "disabilities".

So posts are riddled with acronyms.

Here's a list (in no particular order) for you to test your special needs acronym aptitude:
  • FAS
  • CAPD
  • ASD
  • DPNA
  • ABA
  • ADHD
  • DBT therapist
  • CBT therapist
  • LD
  • SN
  • ODD
  • PTSD
  • HFA
  • SPD
  • DS
Good luck! Responses welcome.

Their world is so alien to me that I'm on the verge of starting a group for parents of the profoundly disabled.

So far I've only come up with this name: Moms of the Profounders.

But I invite your suggestions for a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment