Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Freedom of information?

As the second deadline that the Ministry of Welfare set itself nears, we are no closer to learning what we would like to know - namely the names of the institutions operated by the Ministry where victims of Covid-19 resided.

To recap: Some two months ago, I asked that Ministry for Covid-19 statistics regarding residents of institutions for people with disabilities which are supervised by the Ministry [as I wrote here - my request was for a break-down of the number of Covid-19 victims with disabilities according to the individual institutions.

I was given general numbers. But no specific names of institutions involved.

The Ministry told me that I could only learn that by requesting a "segmentation" (their terminology) of the numbers under Israel's Freedom of Information Law.

I duly submitted the form provided on their website and paid for the service.

I was notified that the Ministry has 30 days to respond but also reserves the right to extend that deadline further. Of course, it extended it - by another 30 days. We are now two weeks away from the second deadline.

Coincidentally, I received a survey request - which I was notified is conducted annually - from the Government Unit of Freedom of Information asking me to assess the service I've received from that Unit. 

Needless to say, I graded the Unit ruthlessly and the venting did me some good. Better yet, though, would be some answers to my questions.

Do you think I will ever receive them? (My prediction: Not on your life.)

My other request for information - and its resend - from our Minister of Education, Yoav Galant, has been ignored for a week. It didn't even merit an automated response. 

To recap here as well: I asked him why he attended the grand opening of a new wing at the Aleh Bnei Brak branch. I wondered how he could award his support and blessing to the archaic, maligned solution to care for children with disabilities - institutionalization. 

While we deal with a second lockdown, Haya's hydrotherapy has amazingly continued. The private, local pool is open for rental and here (top of the post) is Haya in her weekly "heaven". 

No comments:

Post a Comment