Thursday, February 18, 2021

Haya's update: It's a downer

I'm holding a made-in-Israel Cannabis
THC drops product in this photo
Meds

Today is Haya's first day without any Vimpat. We had her on 25 mg per day for about ten days, down from her maximum of 150 mg twice day. I intended to wait until her seizures stabilized before zapping Vimpat entirely but seizures have been rampant. 

And we need Vimpat out of the picture before we can accurately assess Fycompa.

My hunch is this med isn't Haya's magic bullet. Which means we'll probably move on to the next gun - the Keto Diet.

These days, when all else fails I've been giving THC drops to stem the strings of seizures. Here she is (below) after 22 drops of it looking, I'd say, rather high.

Blood

It took about two weeks to organize but I was finally notified by our health fund that tomorrow, weather permitting, a visiting nurse will come to our home to draw Haya's blood. It will be used to do routine tests along with a Covid-19 serological test.

If we find that she has antibodies, we can stop deliberating over the vaccine - at least for a few months.

Hydro

On Monday, after a five week, Covid-19-caused hiatus, Haya finally returned to the pool. She relaxed and floated independently for the most part but her body often tilted to the left. That was disappointing. 

I showed my son-in-law who is a physiotherapist/hydrotherapist a video clip of her in the water. He recommends re-positioning her arms to the right as they rest on her chest and placing her left hand on her right. The clip shows that they were reversed. 

Can't wait to try those tips next session.
Haya

Labels

I often read posts by parents of children with a range of disabilities on various support group sites. Some are caused by the same genetic mutation as Haya's, some by other mutations and some by none. It's a very disheartening pastime.

I'm usually struck by how much higher everyone's level of functioning is than Haya's. And when they have epilepsy, by how much their seizure-control surpasses hers.

On a site devoted to people with Downs and their families I encountered a word now circulating: other-abled, as an alternative to the "D" word.

The truth is it's entirely inapplicable to Haya. She simply isn't other-abled. She truly is disabled, profoundly and I prefer to call a spade a spade.

No comments:

Post a Comment