Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Is this what it takes to move the Knesset to action?

Tommy Berchenko speaks
Yesterday, in a probable first, a citizen with severe disabilities, Tommy Berchenko, addressed the Israel Knesset's Labor and Welfare Committee

He took part in an emergency session of the Committee that deals with Israel's chronic neglect of people with disabilities at institutions.

The Committee is chaired by Efrat Rayten-Marom of the Labor Party.

Mr Berchenko spoke on behalf of Israel's "Independence" organization, headed by Na'ama Lerner. As he is non-verbal, Tommy's words (in Hebrew) were conveyed via a computer-based communications device.


The lines below are my unauthorized translation of the video (online here).
I approached the Welfare Ministry to find a living and care solution. 
They sent me to see several places. 
I saw the places. I saw that there isn't a drop of privacy. 
Your room is not your own room. Everyone can enter.
[You live] With another roommate with whom you share the cubicle. You can't host visitors. You must consider your roommate.
In one institution close to the residents' rooms are the staff offices. 
That's not privacy. 
That's not a home.
I am not prepared to live like that. 
Nobody should have to live like that.
I live in the community.
And that's impossible [for others] because [the Ministry of] Welfare doesn't have appropriate services for living within the community.
So we are forced to go into institutions.
I know that it is very difficult.
I know that we are not easy and that caring for us is complicated.
But we must think about how we can give independence to every person with disabilities and not to deny them access to the kitchen.
The kitchens in these facilities are inaccessible to people with physical disabilities.
It is simply unbelievable.
Let's now think about how to give independence to every individual with disabilities.
I myself am not prepared under any circumstances.
I will not be in an institution even if that is the last opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment