Tuesday, March 22, 2022

On Covid and institutions

My RAT result
I wrote (but didn't post) the following two weeks ago:
As my kids say, "bummer". I had a positive result on my at-home Covid rapid antigen test last night. I administered it because of fever and a cold. Now, I am a scrupulous mask wearer, a Covid recoverer, had two vaccines, scored 2,000 + on a serological antibodies test four months ago and have, to my family's chagrin, grown extremely anti-social during the last two years.  
So, we're stumped as to where and how I caught this.
On the off chance that this is a false positive, I will go do a PCR test this evening.
I am particularly disappointed because the pool to which we bring Haya for hydro has been broken all week. It only recovered and reached the desired 32 degrees Celsius (about 90 Fahrenheit) this morning. I did a lot of Whatsapping to land a cancellation of one hour by one of the teachers for this morning. 
So Haya will miss her hydro this week. As I have often noted: It's the highlight of her life...
Haya, in a recent drawing of mine
Since then, Haya has thankfully had two magnificent sessions of hydro. The second one was this past Sunday which we did in 30 degree (Celsius) water, instead of the usual 32 degrees. With her wetsuit on, Haya appeared as comfortable as usual. But I really missed those extra two degrees.

All the Whatsapp groups I'm in for people with disabilities and their families have been abuzz with talk of forming inspection groups. Clearly, the recent uptick in accounts of abuse in institutions here in Israel triggered that.

The idea is for those groups of volunteers to visit unannounced Israel's institutions for people with disabilities. I just volunteered for the Jerusalem area. Hopefully we will visit ADI Jerusalem and uncover whatever there is to uncover.

This time we won't be accompanied by politicians as we were the last time such visits were made ["Notes from an Aleh visit"]. 

My "partner" back then in 2018 was Knesset member and now Israel's Minister of Diaspora Affairs, Dr Nachman Shai, who in my opinion was utterly deceived by our guide's slick spiel. Sadly, Shai's reactions were confined to unadulterated praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment